Saturday, November 17, 2007

...There wasn't anything I could do about it.

I received an email from the mother of a 3-year-old. Mom writes "My daughter was a diva for Halloween, too. But there wasn't anything I could do about it. She saw the diva outfit in a costume store and demanded it. She cried and carried on when I showed her some other darling costumes. Sometimes, we have to pick our battles and give in to kids when they truly want something. It doesn't make them spoiled. She loves her costume so much that I can't get her to wear anything else."

She isn't spoiled? She demands what she wants, and mom gives in to keep the peace. She won't wear anything else? Alrighty then. I hope mom is saving now for the caretaker she may need in her old age.

I disagree that mom "couldn't do anything about it." If my child had pitched a fit in a store, we'd leave without having purchasing anything. Been there, done that.

How about just bringing home what you want them to wear, or helping the child to make a costume? You might not win the approval of the other moms, but so what? Does their approval mean anything? Will the world end without it? Think of what is good for your family, not how it looks to others.

Mom, your clue phone is ringing...the rest of the world is not going to give in to your daughter's demands. You need to become an authority in her life before she goes to school. She needs to learn to listen, to take "no" for an answer, and to be obey authority figures. Before she can grow up, you need to grow up and become the parent. YOU should not be kowtowing to your child.

A mom who thinks that there's nothing she can do about a child who is demanding needs a reality check. She should keep reading this blog.

* Note to readers: Thanks for the comments on this blog and for the emails. I promise to respond to them all as quickly as possible. And yes, I do intend to "rock on." Thanks!

No comments: