Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Dr. Laura and Kathleen Parker

I've been asked several times over the past few days why I link to Dr. Laura and Kathleen Parker.

I have not listened to the Dr. Laura radio show for over 10 years. I often agreed with what she said, but not how she said it. One can make a point without being inflammatory. Her radio show was on during the time that I took my young child to school, and I don't feel that her program is one that young children should be exposed to. It was a half hour drive to school, and I didn't my child going to school with Dr. Laura ringing in his ears!

But Dr. Laura is an advocate of children. There is good advice on her website about teaching them responsibility, there is advice for those who want to make a go of staying home with their kids. One does not need to agree with 100% of what a person says...take the nuggets of gold and leave the rest.

Kathleen Parker has been descibed as "anti-feminist." This isn't a blog for feminism, it a blog for parents to read and "do the right thing," as Dr. Laura says. Parker's column likewise has nuggets of gold for parents.

Take what we need, and leave the rest. Simple.

No comments: