Friday, November 30, 2007

Dumb questions parents ask

Why is it that parents can't seem to do a damned thing without asking their kids dumb questions? Due to circumstances of late, I found myself in the grocery store at one of the worst possible times - shortly after school let out. A mom was shopping with 2 kids, a boy about 8 and a girl who looked to be around 4 years old. Mom asks the girl "What do we want for dinner?" (what is it with parents and plural pronouns?) The little girl replies "chicken nuggets." Mom says "sweetie, we had chicken nuggets last night. Let's pick something else. " "I want chicken nuggets!" "Sweetie, mommy thinks we should have something else tonight..." and on it went. If "mommy" wanted to serve something else, why did she ask the kid? Why didn't she just choose what she wanted to serve? I think that parents go out of their way to make it harder on themselves. And then they wonder why they're so tired.


The 5 dumbest questions I hear most often:

1. Do we have to go potty?
Doesn't Mom know (I've never heard a Dad ask that question) if she has to go or not? Why is it "Do WE have to go potty"? And why are you asking the kid? (excuse me, child. I was told by a reader that "a kid is a baby goat." Um, that's apropos more often than not.) Why not take the kid/child...you see them do the "potty dance," take them to the bathroom! I've never heard a child say "Yes, I do have to go potty now, thank you."

2. Do I have to spank you?
If you even have to ask, the answer is (psychologically/politically incorrect) probably yes. I've also never heard a child say "Yes, I do believe that I could use a good spanking now."

3. Aren't you cold? Don't you want to wear your coat?
Mom, if you got up off of your butt and ran around as much as your child does, you'd be hot, too. Children have a higher metabolism. If they were cold, I'm fairly certain that they would ask for a coat before they froze to death.

4. Don't you want to eat that?
If the child wanted to eat whatever it is, he would. If he leaves it there, he doesn't want to eat it. If you want him to eat, just tell him to eat it.

5. It's time to go home now. Are you finished playing?
You just set yourself up for that one! You got the first part right...it's time to go home. Asking "are you finished playing" almost guarantees that you'll soon end up countng to three. Readers know my take on that: Do you want me to count to three?

How to contact me. You can leave a comment, or email me at DearParent@gmail.com Due to the number of emails I receive, it could take a few days to respond. Thanks for understanding.

No comments: