Friday, November 16, 2007

"My daughter is a diva"

I saw a cute little girl dressed for Halloween at a mall not too long ago. I asked her what her costume was...not really a princess, but something girly. Her mother haughtily replies "My daughter is a diva." I've been hearing diva this and diva that for the past year and it seems to be catching on like wildfire. An Internet search on diva shows a "Camp Diva" website which says that the Diva Campers have "...a light in their eye, a spring in their step, a positive outlook on life. She is a divine goddess." Alrighty then. I wonder if these "divine goddesses" have chores, wait their turn, and do their own homework? Do divine goddesses even go to school? I can imagine a classroom of divine goddesses. Do divine goddesses need math, history, and English?

I cannot imagine uttering the words "My daughter is a diva." Does that make them more special than non-divas?

I asked several women with daughters if they've heard of this diva thing. "Heard of it? OMG, we live with it!" I wanted to ask why they live with it, but thought maybe they were diva wannabees or they had to keep up with the other moms. My daughter is more diva than your daughter, I guess. One mom told me about a website that has ideas for diva parties, and her daughter wants "everything on the website, and everything pink, for her party." I bet she wants diva-worthy gifts as well. What does one get a diva for her eleventh birthday? After spending "only $500" on a party, she still wants gifts. Amazing. Whatever happened to cake and ice cream and playing outside with friends?

I think of the divas of today and wonder how they will treat their elderly parents one day. I can't imagine a diva cleaning up after mom and dad, changing them, helping them to eat. If a child is elevated to diva and "divine goddess" status as children, what on earth kind of adults will they be? Expect to be waited on, instead of volunteering in their community? Time will tell, but a diva by any other name seems to be adding up to "spoiled child." The kids may be having fun now, but spoiled kids generally grow up to be unpleasant people to be around.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am with you all the way! I am sick of diva stuff. Apparently every mother of daughters in our office has a diva and they are always trying to out-do each other with their parties and sleepovers. It is sickening!

Sarah

Anonymous said...

... and they wonder why there is a toy called "Bratz"

dyfferent said...

O how I love you. Please keep it up.

Anonymous said...

The Divas of today turn into the Princesses of tomorrow.

Things like this make me glad that a)my sister has a boy, and b)I'm childfree.