Monday, November 19, 2007

"...and we thought cluelessness was for teenagers."

That was a line from Kathleen Parker's recent column. In her column, she tells about a teen girl being interviewed about "hooking up" by an author. Here's the excerpt from the column in question:

"As one young woman explained "hooking up" to Washington Post writer Laura Sessions Stepp (author of the book Unhooked): "First you give a guy oral sex and then you decide if you like him."

This conversation took place in the family room of the girl's home. Immediately after that definition was served, the mother offered Stepp a homemade cookie. And we thought cluelessness was for teenagers.
"

The mother served cookies??? I'd have been tossing my cookies. Mom, answer your clue phone by reading the book Unhooked, Laura Sessions Stepp. And, for on-going homework, I sentence you to reading Kathleen Parker's column every week.

Once upon a time, when marriage preceded sex

3 comments:

Betsy Hart said...

Hi "anonymous parent." I'm enjoying your site. One of my readers brought it to my attention. I think you'd enjoy my radio show, "It Takes a Parent" (in Chicago) based on my book "It Takes a Parent: How the Culture of Pushover Parenting is Hurting our Kids: And What to do About It." We talk about just these kinds of topics on the show! You can listen to a three minute highlight reel if you like on "betsysblog.com" I'd love to exchange links with you. You can reach me through my blog. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best, Betsy Hart

Anonymous Parent said...

I'll be in touch; thanks for contacting me. Good title for a book...too many parenting books fall short of the "what to do."

Anonymous Parent

Unknown said...

I'm digging your blog. I don't have time to read much more than a few posts right now but I'm one of those parents who doesn't care if my kids like me. I'm the kind of parent who does the right thing, no matter how much it angers my kids. All of them are adults but one and all of them have thanked me for being so hard on them. They are the only ones in their old group of friends without prison records.